Thursday, May 19, 2011

Strolling the streets of Amed – April 12, 2011


Amed is on the north east coast of Bali, small fishing villages strung together along the coast. There are black sand beaches, beautiful coral reefs, and excellent diving. I came to check out a shipwreck, the U.S.A.T Liberty, just 40m from the shore. The dives were awesome. I totally did not expect to be doing a wreck dive when I first got certified!

Even though there are tons of dive shops everywhere, it’s a bit more remote and off the main tourist track. It’s low season right now as well, so there are plenty of empty restaurant and available taxi drivers. I had to find a way to get back to Ubud, about a 2.5hr drive. The shuttle only runs with a minimum of 2 people, and being solo that posed a problem. To get here, I had taken a motorcycle, and didn’t want to repeat that experience. We had my big backpack jammed up at the front, and I wore my smaller daypack and purse. Now my daypack is still fairly heavy, and about an hour into the ride my bum and back were both aching. I wanted the return drive to be a bit more comfortable.

Along about a 200m stretch of road, I got numerous offers for taxis, most of them trying to overcharge and rip me off. I had a few guys tell me that if I found a lower offer to just come back and they would match the price. Um, how about just give me a lower price? I finally did find one guy who gave me a decent deal. If there’s no business though, wouldn’t it make more sense to give a better price and get work than overcharge and get nothing?

Walking back to my bungalow, this one young driver I had spoken with earlier was now sitting on his stoop with a buddy, playing some guitar. He invited to come and sit with them for a bit, so I did. They played a bunch of songs in English, and a few in Balinese. It was so cute listening to them sing the English ones, because some words were left out or made up. Props to them though, I couldn’t sing anything in Indonesian!

It was funny to sit up there with them and watch them hassle the other tourists walking by, asking them if they needed a “Taxi? Motorbike? Where you going?” Everyone was just trying to take a peaceful stroll down the street. I could definitely relate to all the people walking by!





No comments:

Post a Comment