Thursday, May 19, 2011

Express visit to Australia: Melbourne & Sydney - April 16-24, 2011

My visit to Australia was short and sweet, just 9 days that I split between Melbourne and Sydney. I started out in Melbourne, and was lucky enough to stay with Aida, a girl I met on my overland Africa tour. The day after I arrived Aida took me out for a road trip along the Great Ocean Road, which was a nice surprise. It was an absolutely stunning drive, but a lot to fit into 1 day. We managed to see the majority of the highlights – London Bridge, The Grotto, The Arch, Loch and George and the Twelve Apostles.


London Bridge

Loch and Gorge

The Twelve Apostles
During the rest of my time in Melbourne I walked around and explored the city centre. I was really lucky and had a few days of fabulous sunny fall weather. Melbourne has excellent tourist services, with a great information centre and free bus and tram doing loops around the city. Plenty of great walks all mapped out covering different highlights and areas of the city. I really loved my time in Melbourne. Staying with Aida I had my first home cooked meals in a few months, and that was a nice treat!

In Sydney I did quite a bit of walking as well. I split my time between staying with Brendan, a guy I met in India, and at a hostel. Brendan showed me around his neighbourhood and took me to Maroubra Beach, just down the street from his house. It was nice to see a friendly face and see some sights I might otherwise not have had the chance to check out. I did the free walking tour and saw all the main touristy sites, like Harbour Bridge and the Opera House. I also took the ferry out to Manly Beach and spent a day walking around there. I never did make it to the infamous Bondi Beach.

Australia was so expensive that I didn’t really do much other than walk around and try to find the fun free things to do! I cut my trip there short to spend more time in New Zealand, which I was hoping would be a bit cheaper.






No comments:

Post a Comment