Monday, April 18, 2011

Diving in Bali. Seeing Sharks and a Mola Mola! – April 8 & 10, 2011


From Bali I took a boat to the island of Nusa Lembongan. It’s tiny, only 8km2. There are no cars, only bicycles, motorbikes and small trucks for transporting goods. A fabulous place to spend a few days exploring, diving and relaxing in the sun. There are some great beaches tucked away in some secluded bays.

I went out for 4 dives, my first dives since getting my Open Water Certification on Koh Tao. On our way out to the first dive spot, we saw a manta swimming right near the surface. My instructor told me just to jump in with my mask to get a look, but I was too indecisive so by the time I got in the water it was too far away to see. Missed my chance.

During the first dive we got extremely lucky and saw a mola mola (sunfish), an absolutely bizarre looking creature. It’s not even the season for them, so we were definitely in the right place at the right time. I also saw my first turtle, which was pretty cool.  

I went out for a few more dives two days later, and the plan was to go to Manta Point, where we’d be able to swim with some mantas. The water was way too rough so we had to revise that plan and go somewhere else. I was disappointed, but on the second dive we saw some white tipped reef sharks! I know that there are obviously sharks in the water, but I hadn’t expected to see any during my dives. I thought it would be all coral and fish.  All of a sudden, there were just these sharks swimming not that far off. Definitely a highlight of my dives so far!


No comments:

Post a Comment