Monday, April 11, 2011

Final Thoughts on India – March 9, 2011


-          India is not as difficult, scary or intimidating to travel as I expected, and this was a very pleasant surprise. There are a lot of people who travel India solo, and the majority I met were women. That might have been because all the women solo travelers just sort of naturally find each other.
-           It is a beautiful country with so much variety and so much to see and experience. I’m so happy I got to spend some time in the North and South, just to get a taste for both.
-          The noise and crowds weren’t as hard to get used to as I expected. Even all the honking and crazy driving seemed normal.
-          I found that being stared at on a regular basis was a bit overwhelming and towards the end rather tiresome, but all the Indian people I met were generally just curious and very friendly, kind and helpful.
-          I will not miss all the men chewing tobacco and spitting/hoarking it everywhere. It was never ending and I never could get over how disgusting I thought it was.
-          With the wide variety of animals on the roads, from dogs to cows to goats, I’m amazed there isn’t more poo everywhere. I’m not sure where it goes, or if it just disappears under the garbage.
-          I don’t know what the actual numbers are, but it felt like there were WAY more men than women everywhere. Like 3:1 as opposed to 1:1. I don’t know if it’s just because the men are more out in the public than the women, but it was definitely noticeable. 

No comments:

Post a Comment