Thursday, March 3, 2011

Beaches in the South (Goa) - February 6, 2011

From North India I travelled South with one of the girls from the tour, Mieke from Ireland. Our first stop in Goa was Baga Beach, one of the northern beaches. It’s a very busy, touristy beach. I had originally planned on staying there around a week, but a few nights turned out to be enough. The Saturday night market is amazing, stalls full of clothes and jewellery, delicious food and live entertainment.

The beach was nice, but very crowded. Through all of India so far I’ve found that Indian people, especially the men, have no problem staring, all the time. Not really something I’ve gotten used to yet. Lying at the beach was no exception. I got up to go swimming once and it was really uncomfortable because the guys all stare and try to swim up close, or take pictures. We had a couple of men come up and ask “if we’d like a massage, very good price” as if we would pay to have some random creep give us a massage! This one guy asked us if we wanted a massage and when we told him “no, go away” he took that as an invitation to ask if he could sit down on one of our lounge chairs for a minute, because he was tired. The whole thing was so ridiculous I couldn’t stop laughing as Mieke told him to get lost.

There was this dog at the beach that kept coming around while we were drinking our water, staring at our water bottles with hungry eyes. One of the guys nearby said that the dog takes the bottles and drinks from them. My bottle was close to empty, so I gave the dog my bottle, lid on and everything. He took it between his paws and unscrewed the lid with his teeth, then tipped the bottle over and pressed his paw along the side to push to water out. Quite impressive!





No comments:

Post a Comment